Welcome to the Website of the Sligo County Community Forum.
The Sligo County Community Forum was established in 2000 as a voice for the community and voluntary sector in County Sligo. With a registered membership of 702 groups, the Forum acts as a network in County Sligo to enable the Community & Voluntary sector to meet and address common issues and concerns, and put forward those views at a county level.
The Sligo County Community Forum is managed by an Executive board of 25 members (currently). Four members are nominated from each of the five local electoral areas in County Sligo. A further five members are held for ‘sectoral’ representatives on the Executive. The Forum Executive meets regularly to discuss matters. The Forum is funded through a grant awarded by the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government which is administered through Sligo County Council. The Executive members hold seats on eighteen county and regional boards and local government structures, including the County Development Board and Strategic Policy Committees, to advocate on behalf of the community and voluntary sector.
The aim of the Sligo County Community Forum is ….
“To benefit the community of County Sligo by identifying, analysing and acting on the needs, issues, and concerns of the Community and Voluntary Groups in the County with particular emphasis on the issues that affect those who are most vulnerable and excluded in our Communities..”
Objectives of the Forum
- Sligo County Community Forum will be a voice for all members of the Community & Voluntary Sector within the County.
- Sligo County Community Forum will actively support and encourage community and voluntary groups to reach their full potential
- To promote County Sligo on an economic, social and cultural level in partnership with the various local regional and national agencies
- To disseminate information on funding, resources, training and other relevant areas
- To advocate on behalf of members of the community and voluntary sector
- Sligo County Community Forum will act as the nominating and support platform for the community and voluntary sector to the County Development Board, Strategic Policy Committees and other relevant decision making structures.
- To promote equality for all those experiencing social exclusion, discrimination and poverty.
- To publicise and assist the promotion of the forum to a wider audience through the medium of Newspaper and Radio, Newsletters, Information Seminars and Workshops.
- Sligo County Community Forum will be non-sectarian non-party political and promote equality of opportunity, participation and representation.